In accordance with Massachusetts General Law (MGL) 271:7A, a permit for a raffle and /or a bazaar may be obtained by certain qualifying non-profit organizations:
- Churches or religious organizations
- Civic or service clubs or organizations
- Clubs or organizations organized and operated exclusively for pleasure, recreation or non-profit purposes, no part of which inures to benefit of any member
- Educational or charitable organizations
- Fraternal or fraternal benefit societies
- Veterans’ organizations chartered by Congress
An activity authorized under the permit includes the sale of tickets to be determined by chance (raffle), or an event maintained by the sponsoring organization for the award of merchandise by chance (bazaar). Bazaars include Las Vegas/Casino Night and the popular Texas Hold’ems. In addition to the specific requirements and qualifications under the Law Governing Raffles and Bazaars, there are also specific requirements and regulations regarding each of these events from the Attorney General’s Office, as well.
The raffle and bazaar application may be submitted to the Town Clerk's Office. The fee for a raffle permit is $10 payable to the Town of Stoneham.
For more information please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at 781.279.2650.