Water & Sewer
Report Water/Sewer Emergencies
To report a water and/or sewer related emergency during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., call the Department of Public Works at 781-438-0760, or 781-438-2583.
To report a water and/or sewer related emergency after normal business hours, please call the Stoneham Police Department at 781-438-1215
The Stoneham Public Works Water/Sewer Department is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Town’s 5 sewer pumping stations, approximately 75 miles of water mains, and 800 fire hydrants. They also maintain 75 miles of sewer and 6,100 water service connections and water meters. Employees also assist in snow removal, emergency response and other Departmental functions as needed.
The specific functions include:
- Maintaining and repairing all facilities required to supply water/sewer service to the residents and businesses of Stoneham
- Replace and oversee the replacement of approximately 1 mile of water main pipe per year. Replace water meters on a 15 year cycle
- Ensuring that the water provided meets all federal, state and local regulations for safe drinking water
- Repair, replacement and rehabilitation of the Town’s sewer system to reduce/eliminate infiltration and inflow
- Responding to citizen inquiries and complaints relative to water quality, poor pressure, leaks and water bills; sewer plugs and odors
- Conducting quarterly and monthly readings and billings of the Town’s water/sewer customers
- Repairing leaks in water mains and water services in a timely manner to avoid the waste of water
- Conducting an annual water distribution system flushing program
- Maintaining fire hydrants to ensure that the domestic and fire protection needs of Stoneham are met
- Coordinate and oversee the Town’s water service backflow device program